If you enjoy outdoor activities that are associated with autumn and want a beautiful view of Upstate New York, than I highly recommend you to visit Lake George between early October to early November.
I have recently vacationed near Lake George in the neighboring town of Queensbury, which is known to have Six Flags Great Escape. Although it was only a three day vacation, I was very pleased to accomplish my list of top 5 things to do while vacationing in Lake George.
Top 5 Things to do in the Lake George Area:
- On your drive to your destination, enjoy the gorgeous warm colors of gold, rust, and red of the fall foliage from the surrounding trees.
Driving up north 87 the foliage was stunning. The best part about upstate is that the trees cover mountains and you can see the foliage from anywhere you turn.
2. Participate in outdoor activities.
TripAdvisor recommended Adirondack Extreme Adventure Course. It is an outdoor park where you can climb, zip line, and challenge yourself physically on the 5 part obstacle course.
Additionally, our group went horseback riding in a town 20 minutes north of Lake George.
3. Have lunch in Shepard Park in adirondack chairs overlooking the lake.
Luckily an Octoberfest was occurring during our stay in Lake George. Vendor and street fair food carts were everywhere. The view of the lake from Shepard Park was serene. I enjoyed watching the Minne-Ha-Ha steam on by as I ate my food.
4. Have icecream and other sweets from Nina’s Sweet Shoppe!
Their homemade Moose Tracks ice cream was delightful!
5. Walk down Canada Street where there are several local shops as well as the main tourist attractions.
Lake George is a family vacation spot where kids can play in arcades, play mini golf, enjoy history from Fort William Henry, and participate in water sports.
I am happy that I went during autumn because we missed the summer crowds which would have made finding lodging a lot more difficult. The views of upstate New York makes me appreciate New York as a state even more than I did before.